Accidents happen, it’s a fact of life. But when someone makes a mistake and the resulting accident physically affects you, action must be taken.
Accident lawyers, commonly referred to as personal injury lawyers, will work for you to ensure you receive any compensation you may be entitled to after an accident.
1. Know when to call an accident lawyer
The law is tricky and vague, which means that there is no way to know exactly what compensation you may be entitled to after the accident. You have nothing to lose by calling an accident lawyer to find out if they can help you with your case.
It is better to call sooner than later. Call while all the details are still clear to you, so that you can provide as much information as possible. You also can run out of time if you wait. After a certain amount of time, you will no longer be entitled to compensation for an accident.
2. Know who can hire an accident lawyer
Of course, if you are the one injured then of course you are able to hire an accident lawyer on your own behalf to fight your case. However, if you have a loved one, like an immediate family member or spouse, who was killed or severely mentally disabled as a cause of an accident you are entitled to hire an accident lawyer yourself.
3. Know the types of injuries that are often covered
Again, it is hard to know what the law will dictate, and there is no exhaustive list of every injury that will be applicable for compensation. But there are quite a few common injuries that often apply to cases like these.
These injuries include chronic pain, memory loss, nerve damage, brain damage, post-traumatic stress, amputations, and fractures, as well as any injuries causing death.
4. Know what your accident lawyer can do
Your accident lawyer can help you in two different ways. They can either help you negotiate with your insurance company after an accident to ensure you receive the best compensation, or they can help you sue the person responsible for damages.
If you are not already positive about what you would like to do, your lawyer can run through the case with you and help you understand what your best plan of action will be.
5. Know what you are being compensated for
There are a few different reasons you might receive monetary compensation. These normally include:
- Medical bills: You can receive compensation for some or all of your medical bills after the accident. This does not just include the initial trip to the hospital, but also any recurring trips, medications, etc. you may need which are necessary as a result of the accident.
- Missed work: You may receive some compensation to help manage the financial stress of not working, if that is applicable to your case
- Pain and suffering: There are additional amounts added which include both mental and physical pain or suffering. It’s kind of like compensation for the huge inconvenience of the difficulties you have had to endure post-accident.
6. Know who to call
Getting the right lawyer on board to work on your case is crucial. When it comes to personal injury, you want to make sure your case goes to someone who has your best interest in mind. It’s a good idea to make sure you get along and that you trust the lawyer who is working on your case. You should also make sure you are working with someone who has experience and who is specialized in personal injury law.
Getting the right lawyer is one of the most important parts.